West Yellowstone features cool, clear mountain mornings and warm evenings. Traffic in the park is heavy mid-day, generally between 10AM to 2PM. West Yellowstone offers several outstanding events and activities throughout the summer. Outdoor adventurists can brush up on their angler skills, take guided outdoor trips, kayak local rivers, go horseback riding, enjoy mountain trails, experience overnight backpacking trips, cook outdoors, go mountain bike riding, hike nearby areas, participate in avian watching, lake fish or fly fish.
Hebgen Lake is just north of West Yellowstone and offers outstanding West Yellowstone RV camping, boating, canoeing and world famous fishing. History buffs can enjoy the Yellowstone Historic Center Museum or the West Yellowstone Historic Walking Tour.
The 4th of July, Big Brothers Big Sisters hosts a large yard sale in City Park, which also features free music, a Fireman Department BBQ and a small parade. The evening abounds with a small fireworks display that looks stunning set amid the tall mountains.
Other nearby West Yellowstone attractions include the following:
- The Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center – This animal sanctuary his home to live grizzly bears, raptors and wolves and is open 365 days a year. They feature several lectures, movies and children-friendly programs.
- Yellowstone IMAX Theater – The documentary “Yellowstone” is open daily.
- Yellowstone Ranger Presentations – Featuring free slide shows by Yellowstone Rangers, they cover a variety of topics at different locations in West Yellowstone. This event is weekly.
- Wild West Yellowstone Rodeo – This live family rodeo is held every weekend from June 15 through Labor Day (Thursday, Friday and Saturday).
- Free Fly Casting Lessons – These are available at Jacklin’s Fly Shop on Yellowstone Avenue on Sunday evenings at 7:30PM. These begin June 19 and are held throughout the summer.
- The Playmill Theatre – This semi-professional theatre holds two nightly performances and offers a Youth Summer Camp.
- Pinecone Playhouse – Also a semi-professional theater, they hold weekend performances.
- Forest Rangers – Weekly talks and ranger hikes with Yellowstone Park or Gallatin National Forest rangers are also available.
- Summer Events – Other popular summer events include June’s bike biathlon, Augusts’ Rod Run car show, Augusts’ 10-day Mountain Man Rendezvous, Augusts’ Pine Needle Stampede Mini-Marathon and Labor Day Weekend’s Square Knot Square Dancing Jamboree.
Never short on events, West Yellowstone is a must-see destination for Yellowstone National Park and for the friendly charm this tight-knit community offers to visitors.