Yellowstone National Park offers excellent volcanic and geothermal activities. As a natural wonder, they offer hiking, horseback riding, fishing and wildlife viewing that is unlike anything on earth. Visitors to the area can partake in or arrange one of the following activities to make their Yellowstone excursion even more fun and unforgettable.
- Biking – Biking around Yellowstone is a popular activity. Biking is permitted on established designed routes and on certain public roads. Bikes, however, are not permitted on hiking trails, boardwalks or backcountry areas.
- Fishing – For more than 100 years, people have been visiting Yellowstone to partake in their renowned fishing. Popular fishing areas include Firehole, Madison, Yellowstone, Gardner and Slough. Fishing areas do require a fishing license. Areas outside the West Entrance include Hebgen Lake, which offers superb dry fly lake fishing for rainbow and brown trout.
- Backpacking and Hiking – Yellowstone has more than 1,100 miles of hiking trails. Yellowstone mainly caters to day hikers, which can explore trails on boardwalks that highlight many geothermal attractions. For active hikers, Yellowstone’s backcountry offers a pristine wilderness that is only seen firsthand by few visitors.
- Horseback Riding – Several park permitted outfitters are allowed to offer horseback riding trips within Yellowstone National Park.
- Whitewater Rafting – Rafting is a fun family excursion that allows people to explore the park via rafting trips. Families can even see wildlife firsthand, which makes this an outstanding, exhilarating experience.
- Boating – Boating companies offer cruises around Yellowstone’s lakes, which allow visitors to experience the park from an aquatic vantage point.
- Kayaking and Canoeing – Guides offer kayaking trips of Lake Yellowstone or visitors can feel free to bring their own kayaks or canoes and explore Lewis Lake.
- Motorcycle Tours – Motorcycles need to be careful of wildlife, but feeling the wind on motorcyclists’ faces is an exhilarating experience. Top sights include Beartooth Pass, which is located near the Northeast Entrance, outside Cooke City.
- ATV and Offroad Equipment – ATV use is prohibited inside Yellowstone National Park, but nearby areas permit ATV equipment. However, 4WD rentals are permitted to nearby gateway towns, which allow riders excellent access to authorized trails into surrounding National Forest roads and lands.
- Wagon Train Adventures – Visitors can take a step into the past and join a wagon train adventure, learning how people used to visit Yellowstone long ago.
- Wildlife Tours – Yellowstone is teaming with wildlife and there are many outfitters that offer personalized wildlife tours. These are ideal for individuals, couples or families.
Yellowstone Holiday is located outside the West Entrance to Yellowstone. They offer Yellowstone campgrounds, Hebgen Lake cabins and West Yellowstone RV camping.